Here is my take on Elk Tacos
Ingredients for elk tacos:
1 lbs ground elk
5 tbl spoons avocado oil or safflower oil
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup fine shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 cup cut heirloom cherry tomatoes
6-8 flour tortillas 8″
1 – 2 whole sliced avocados
Cooking instructions for elk tacos:
- add 3 table spoons of oil into hot pan, salt the pan liberally and add in half of your cayenne and chili powered. swirl around to coat pan.
- in hot pan and oil add your ground elk meat be sure you pan is super hot, systematically begin breaking up the meat and distributing evenly in the pan to ensure you coat the whole bottom with meat almost so it makes a giant “meat pancake” let brown on one side add in your second half of spices then begin to fold over to brown the other side. If the pan is not very hot or you have low BTU I would consider doing half the meat at a time otherwise the meat will boil instead of sear and brown. “boiling meat” will give it the gamey taste.
- while meat is browning on first side start heating 2 tbls of oil in separate pan for your tomatoes again add oil to hot pan salt the oil and add in a pinch of black pepper. Add the cut tomatoes ( I cut them in halves) to hot pan and cook until they begin to blister and char this process may be complete before your meat is completely cooked so just remove from heat when they are done.
- Once the elk meat is completely browned and has some crispy edges fold in your Monterey jack cheese and add in the tomatoes keep folding until evenly distributed
5. take your tortillas and cook them over either your gas burner directly or in a pan I prefer the gas burner gets little char marks that add to the flavor put 2 on a plate and spoon in some of your elk taco meat mixture then add two thin slices of avocado then serve…. you can add salsa or sour cream if you desire but I find they are good just like this.
elk tacos, elk recipes , how to cook elk
I have come up with a seasoning just for wild game check out #backyardgrillerz seasoning as seen on the cooking channel